Monday, July 26, 2010

Lazy Day, Scones and Flat Bread

A really, really, really lazy Sunday after the excitement of Saturday. 

I sat in the winter sunshine for huge lengths of time and knitted (bliss). Linus and Astrid played quietly with not a hint of a "hangover" from the day before and the Historian pottered around in his shed. Oh, the gender stereotypes! Anyway, we had a lovely relaxing day. 









We had scones with blueberry jam and cream for morning tea (A Country Women's Association (CWA) speciality of course. They are perfect looking but can be somewhat rubbery scones (psst. I don't use the recipe in the link, I merely included it for the photo of what a CWA scone looks like for comparison). Mine are rather  ugly looking, irregular, crumbly, crusty on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside...I'm sure they wouldn't pass the muster with the CWA  but am I a terrible person for preferring mine?




Then I made my absolute staple; Crispy Caraway Flatbread to nibble with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc  in the late afternoon. I love this recipe and make it pretty much weekly, I found it on Smitten Kitchen but I find caraway far nicer than rosemary. (of course that's because I adore caraway ). The only other thing I do differently is that I roll it out very thin between 2 sheets of baking paper to make things easier. Then I break it into shards when it cools . . .

CHEERS!


6 comments:

  1. Did no one at your place go to work/school today? Your day sounds lovely, mine consisted of lessons at 45 minute rotations making clay pinch pots and learning new setting up and packing up routines!
    Taste is the most important thing when it comes to cooking. Especially cakes etc. There is nothing worse than looking at a luscious cake (scone) then biting into it and discovering it is rubbery, and tasteless.
    Rustic delicious food wins hands down in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh yes, that was Sunday not Monday (shame, it would have made for a fantastic Monday). I think scones are a bit of a science. The BIG difference between them is butter (mine) and transfat (boo hiss) margarine (hers). My food is nothing if not rustic! WABI SABI food that's my motto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, those look like drop biscuits to me, which are dearly loved in our home, particularly with winter dinners. I love how we can use the same words to describe different things in our two countries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinners?! You wouldn't be having them with jam and cream then! Yes, the language thing is funny sometimes it takes me a while to work out what something could be, especially in recipes (thank goodness for the internet). The practices are so different too (we would never have scones as an accompaniment to dinner)Biscuits=cookies jam=jelly...and just to make things even more complicated I've heard of "drop scones" which are like pikelets (oops that's another Australianism...little pancakes)so when you said "drop biscuits" I thought? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to have scones with dinner quite often. Both my mum and great grandmother used to make basically a scone recipe, maybe a little more milk and pop them on the top of a stew. We'd call them dumplings. I used to love them. This difference probably comes from our convict/pioneer/English roots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes there are many traditions here that I don't share because of my heritage (I remember being completely flummoxed by roast Sunday lunches). But I think this "biscuit" dinner accompaniment is a lot more wide-spread in the US...

    ReplyDelete