Monday, August 9, 2010

Pink Twirling Skirt



Why do girls go so mad for pink? I've actually made a conscious effort to limit the amount of pink in Astrid's life. It's such a conformist colour and "girly girl" (ooh I HATE that term... ugh especially when grown women use it to describe themselves) is not a box I want my wonderful, assertive, creative daughter being stuck in. Yet it's a force sometimes too big for me to fight ...15 minutes this morning on the sewing machine making a dodgy pink skirt out of the satin she chose and she's delighted! I know she'll wear it getting muddy while planting "forests" for her toy deer and climbing trees while helping her imaginary "silly fruit-eating duck", so I guess she's not totally boxed yet.

4 comments:

  1. I remember someone wearing bright pink fish earings and pink overalls while we were at school and that person was definately not a conformist. I don't think it is the colour but a state of mind and your girl is very well balanced, interesting and intellegent, I don't think anyone would be able to put her in a box unless she chose to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes . . . of course you're right . . . I wore pink as a statement! I'm not sure what I was saying though (remember those painted gum boots?). We were "anti-fashion" but ruddy fashion kept catching up to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And my bright yellow! I don't think I've worn yellow since then. Everyone thinks the 80's were terrible but boy we had alot of fun- well at least with our fashion and our refusal to be contained within any boxes and defying any labeling. I guess your uneasyness with the girly girly pink comes from the same place my letting my boy wear a dress to playgroup came from. Mind you my girly refused to wear anything remotely pretty until recently and I yearned for the opportunity to use my sewing skills to create twirly skirts. Luck they both enjoyed drama and dressing up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way for my girl (I didn't know they were so close in age). She decidedly does NOT like pink, but I have seriously curtailed its presence in her life since birth. I have friends who have said, "She doesn't like pink because you don't!" to which I have replied, "And your daughter DOES like it because you do!" Though she doesn't like pink, she does like bling: sparkles, sequins, shiny surfaces. It's so hard to let her go with it when I think it cheapens the look of whatever she is wearing. . . *sigh*

    ReplyDelete